California – Day 1

I am having to remind myself why we decided to book the 6 a.m. flight out of DFW this morning – because it was cheap. I am reminding myself of this because it is 3:30 p.m. (PDT) and I am finding myself completely exhausted.

In addition to the four hour flight time we also had the privilege of sitting on the tarmac at DFW for 20 minutes this morning while the ground crew tried to fix some thingamajobber that was broken with the cooling system. That little glitch aside it was a pleasant flight, which coming from me is a huge compliment to United Airlines. Flying makes me sick, literally and I didn’t feel even the slightest bit of queasiness. Yay!

Once we landed in San Francisco we hopped in a cab and went to our hotel (The Prescott) where we dropped off our stuff and then went out into town.

Here’s a map of our walk.,-122.402716&spn=0.023738,0.036478&z=14&output=embed
Our first order of business food! This came in the form of a burger at Red’s Java Hut off the Embarcadero – an awesome, super cool breakfast/lunch spot on pier just under the Oakland Bay Bridge. Yummy! The burger was scrumptious and the view was pretty gosh darn cool.

Once we were full of burgers and beer (at 10:45 a.m. local time) we walked down the Embarcadero towards the Ferry Building where we enjoyed some cheese from the Cowgirl Creamery and some really cool salted pig parts …it was salami…and it was go-od!

Further down the Embarcadero we go…talking, enjoying the view and the absolutely perfect weather.

Near Pier 39 in Fisherman’s Wharf we discovered the Musee Mecanique, a museum of sorts…actually it’s one man’s lifetime of collecting old arcade games…all on display and in working order! It was free to get in. Three dollars of quarters was plenty enough to keep Jason and I entertained for the better part of an hour!

After the Musee Mecanique we were off to the Rogue Public House in the North Coast…quite possibly this and only this was the reason Jason wanted to spend an extra day in San Francisco.

In case you were wondering…this is just about as happy as Jason gets. The only thing that is going through his head at the moment of the above photo is, “Which beer do I want?”

Notice the look of concentration. It took him all of 10 seconds to figure it out.

Three beers later we walked back to the hotel…but not before a quick stop at my favorite coffee place on the planet, Cafe La Taza for a 20-ounce Iced Cafe Mocha. Yumm. I have had dreams about this coffee, literally.

After a little down time at the hotel we set out to dinner at Pazzia, a little casual but delicious Italian Restaurant off 3rd street. We split a bottle of wine, an order of bruschetta and a sausage and mushroom pizza. Followed by the best cappuccino. Ever.

After dinner, thanks to Jason’s taxi cab hailing skills, we took a cab to a little dive bar called Toronado off Haight Street. Jason enjoyed two beers that he cannot find in Dallas, Pliny the Elder and Damnation. I didn’t have any but I take it on his authority that they were very good.

Some contact lens trouble cut our evening short. At 10 p.m. we got in yet another cab and came back to the hotel.

Leave a Reply